Legal Stuff

Additional Information

 There is a lot to consider when planning your wedding day.  To legally marry in Australia you must follow these steps: 

What the Law Says:

  • One partner can be 16 or 17 years old but must have parent or guardian permission and a Magistrates Court order.
  • The union of 2 people to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.
  • You can not get married if you are: 
    • still married to another person
    • in a relationship with a parent, descendant, sibling or half sibling.
  • A registered celebrant must carry out your wedding ceremony.
  • You both must sign the notice of intended marriage application form in the presence of a qualified witness.
  • All your documents must be in English—or you must supply accredited translations if they are in another language.
  • There must be 2 witnesses over the age of 18 at your wedding ceremony.
  • An interpreter must be at your wedding ceremony if one or both partners can not understand or speak English.
  • You don't have to be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia to legally marry here

If you are married now we can still plan your ceremony but you must have received confirmation that you are no longer married before the ceremony date and I must sight your divorce certificate.

The Notice of Intention to Marry - NOIM
In accordance with the Marriage Act 1961 the Notice of Intended Marriage form must be completed no later than one month prior to the ceremony and no more than 18 months before.

To help complete the NOIM you need to show me

  • a passport or
  • an official birth certificate, or an official extract of an entry in an official register, showing the date and place of birth of each party
  • the notice may be completed and witnessed outside Australia if required
  • if there is less than one month before your wedding a prescribed authority may approve a shorter notice time in some limited circumstances
  • the end of any previous marriages for each party by divorce or death
  • you  may also be required for you to complete a statutory declaration to support your evidence

If you don’t already have an official birth certificate, you can apply for one at your state’s Births, Deaths and Marriages office or the court house. This is at your own cost and responsibility.

Proof of Identification

The Marriage Act states that your marriage celebrant should not solemnise a marriage until he or she is satisfied that both parties are who they claim to be.

I will need to certify your identity, in which case the following proof of identification will suffice:

  • a driver’s licence
  • a Proof of Age/Photo Card
  • a passport - a current overseas passport if you were born outside Australia
  • an Australian citizenship certificate along with another form of photographic evidence.

There is only one sentence I have to say ....

My name is  Micheal O'Sullivan, I am a Marriage Celebrant, duly authorised  to solemnise this marriage in accordance with the laws of Australia.  

I am duly authorised by law to solemnise marriages and therefore, before you are joined in marriage in my presence, and in the presence of these witnesses, I am to remind you of the solemn and binding nature of the relationship into which you are now about to enter. 

Marriage, according to the law in Australia, is the union of two people to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life. 

After You are Married

On the day of your wedding, you will sign three marriage certificates which will be signed by you, myself and two witnesses.   I will give you an offical Certificate of Marriage as a record of your marriage on the day.

Your marriage will be registered with the Births Deaths and Marriages in the state or territory it took place within fourteen days.

Please be aware that the certificate issued by the Births Deaths and Marriages is required for many official purposes.   You should apply for a copy of this certificate, after approximately three weeks, from Births, Deaths and Marriages after your wedding.

Births Deaths & marriages qld

Find out how to apply for a new or replacement Queensland standard Marriage Certificate. A standard marriage certificate is a recognised identity document